[TUHS] UniFlex

Jose R. Valverde jrvalverde at cnb.csic.es
Fri Apr 30 17:58:23 AEST 2010

P.S. (sorry for following up to myself)

	I had a look into the files, and the system comes with commented
source code in assembler.

	FWIW this is a full distribution, including development environment
(C, Cobol, Fortran-77,..), editors, kernel, VSAM database, etc... all of it
with source code and documentation,

	From my first cursory look most of it is written in assemble, comes
with sample test code and is documented enough to be understandable. The
pascal, cobol and fortran 77 compilers are written in pascal (!), the C
compiler is written in assembler.

	It looks like the environment must have been only vaguely UNIX-like
but yet I find it mesmerizing enough considering where it ran and when. It
adds another dimension to understand the impact UNIX had and how it spun off
lookalikes and sprung the imagination of developers of the time expanding its
heritage sideways.

			EMBnet/CNB
		Scientific Computing Service
	Solving all your computer needs for Scientific
			Research.

		http://bioportal.cnb.csic.es
		  http://www.es.embnet.org