[TUHS] Irwin 285

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Jan 22 03:11:47 AEST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:07:07 +0300
Sergey Lapin <slapinid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, that's so bad, so I will really need to buy some vintage SCSI
> tape drive to fullfill my backup needs.
If you really want tape backup: Get a DLT drive. This is the most
reliable tape technology I came across. Next to it are the big QIC
drives that use DC6xxx or DC9xxx media. (Don't confuse this with the
MiniQIC stuff that was used for floppy streamers.) This would be a
proper backup for an old Unix box. (DC600 tapes where a common
distribution media for Unix software in the pre-CDROM era.)

Avoid helical scan like DAT or Exabyte 8 mm.

Hmmm. Well. 9-track tape is even more reliable then DLT. But how much
data do you get on a 2400' tape at 6250 bpi? (Answer left to the reader
as an exercise. ;-) )

Or, as Jason mentioned: Consider disk backup on at least two redundant
disks. (Does not need to be RAID. Just copy all data to two indepentent
disks.)

Store at least one backup off site...

Forget CD-R and DVD-R.
--