[TUHS] Irwin 285

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 22 06:41:57 AEST 2010

Quoting Jason Stevens, who wrote on Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 03:26:45PM -0500 ..

> a 5mb file in the middle of some 400GB worth of crap (valuable data) is a
> ZILLION times better then the big bad days of tape... Esp with some software
> that requires you to catalog the dammed things as the old backup server
> invariably ran out of space...
>
> I can't tell you how much better things have gotten with our clutzy users,
> and the ability to just go and grab backups... or even NTFS v3's ability to
> show prior revisions of files...

Run VMS :)

> Hell even when I was a kid the whole 'datacasette' thing honestly sucked.
>  sure it held more then a floppy but you'd waste 30-60 min on watching that
> sucker sloooowly spin.  Life is just too short for slow media.

TK50 anyone? :)

> anything goes, to the point we'll display so&so's comb and diary.... but not
> show the contents or make it a big deal to get at those contents...
>
> Unlike say the old usenet archives where were in a public space...
>
> Ok I'm rambling, I'll stop, but tapes died for a reason!

Well, for a lot of customers they are still very real.  More for archiving
than for backups in some cases.  I personally trust *good* tape technology
more than el-cheapo bit SATA drives (SATAn drives as one of my colleagues
likes to call them when they are causing grief).

What one does see quite often is some kind of virtual tape system with disk
backing storage that is the first stage backup.  After some time the data is
offloaded from virtual tape storage onto real tapes for storing them in some
concrete vault.  Obviously virtual tape gives you nice things like dedupe
etc.

Wilko