[TUHS] Irwin 285

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Fri Jan 22 06:44:29 AEST 2010

> > Ok I'm rambling, I'll stop, but tapes died for a reason!
>
> Well, for a lot of customers they are still very real.  More for archiving
> than for backups in some cases.  I personally trust *good* tape technology
> more than el-cheapo bit SATA drives (SATAn drives as one of my colleagues
> likes to call them when they are causing grief).

Disks are much higher volume and are forced to be reliable "enough".
If you aren't backing up with a crc then you are doing it wrong.

If you want archive, write it to dvd or bluray and pull them out and
rewrite every 5 years.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com