[TUHS] Backup software (was: Irwin 285)

Brad Spencer brad at anduin.eldar.org
Fri Jan 29 06:27:11 AEST 2010

   On Thursday, 21 January 2010 at 12:44:49 -0800, Corey Lindsly wrote:

   >> Sure. I know.  Big SATA drives are cheap over here as well, like
   >> 1.5T for 110 EURO or somesuch. I just happen to own a LTO3 and
   >> enough tapes already, so the economics are not the issue. Just need
   >> to have a proper piece of open source backup software that runs on
   >> FreeBSD.
   >
   > And what, precisely, is the problem with using dump?
   > It will span multiple tapes.

   dump is non-portable.  In general, you can only restore to the same
   kind of system as you write to.

   Greg
   --
   Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
   This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft MUA reports

Not entirely true...  dump and restore in NetBSD seems to be portable
among NetBSD systems at least.  I have personally restored to NetBSD/sparc
from NetBSD/alpha, a 64 bit to 32 bit conversion.  I have also restored to
NetBSD/amd64 a NetBSD/i386 dump, which is basically the other way around.
I have also read NetBSD/sparc dumps on NetBSD/i386, and it worked fine,
that would have been a byte order conversion.

I don't know how far this goes, if it is just NetBSD, or something
inherent to all 4.4BSD derived systems.

--
Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]