[TUHS] New Unix Tree website

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Mon Mar 1 15:21:49 AEST 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 03:57:16PM +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I'm interested to see that you've put nsys in as the Fourth Edition,
> and that the timestamps are 1973-8-31.  I've had this code on my
> machine for years (almost certainly from you), but I thought it was
> the Third Edition, and the time stamps are 1973-1-22.  Have you found
> reason to change the timestamps and the version?

It's a hard one to categorise, so here is my opinion:

4th Edition, released November 1973, was the first edition with a kernel
written in C; 3rd Edition's kernel was still in assembly. The nsys kernel
has timestamps up to August 31, 1973, so it's only a few months away from
4th Edition, and nsys is a kernel written in C. Therefore, I decided to
categorise nsys under 4th Edition.

Dennis and I had an ongoing discussion about the timestamps in the original
nsys tape. He originally thought the files were dated 22 Jan, 1973. We
worked out that there was a nuxi problem in interpreting the dates, and
Jan 1973 was too early, as the C compiler at that time did not support
structs. So the August 31, 1973 timestamp for the files seems to be correct.

Anyway, I could either put it in V3 or V4, but either way it needs a long
explanation as to why it is placed there.

Cheers,
	Warren