[TUHS] More versions in the tree (was: Unix Tree: side scrolling)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sun Mar 7 16:02:16 AEST 2010

On Saturday,  6 March 2010 at 21:14:08 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
>> I also want to add these other releases:
>>         4BSD
>>         4.1BSD which one?
>
> 4.1c was the one that worked, right?

Well, it's interesting as the first operating system with support for
TCP/IP, so I'd vote for that too.

>> I still seriously want to get a copy of SysVR4.2, which will go ...
>
> SysVR4.2 was never my favorite.  System V in general was a poor
> excuse for a Unix release.

Heh.  All the more reason to have a representative of the branch, so
that people can see for themselves.

> We still have SCO running here and it's pretty close to Sys V

Possibly it would look that way revisited now.  It certainly didn't to
us 20 years ago.  We were running, well, System V.2, and we wanted a
UNIX for our PCs.  We ended up with Interactive, which was a whole lot
better than SCO.

Greg
--
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft MUA reports