[TUHS] v6: where is "man"?

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Wed Oct 20 16:18:48 AEST 2010

> I just booted up the interdata version and... it doesn't have 'man'
> either...
>
> I get the impression from /usr/doc/man   that the man pages on the ID32 were
> setup with a 'make' command to format and print them all....
>
> I guess the man command didn't exist...????

Why is there a man page for it?

By the way, I found a /usr/bin/man command in
PDP-11/Distributions/other/Tim_Shoppa_v6
in the unix_v6.rl02 image.  Oddly, it uses "cd" instead
of "chdir" and doesnt run in the normal v6 shell!
(cut and pasted in the attached file).
It also uses "set" which isnt supported in v6.
Although, it does look like a pre-v7 shell script
by the control flow constructs and lack of variables.
(compare to /bin/man in V7, which is a new style shell
script which wont run in V6).

There's also a /usr/ucb/man binary present.  I haven't
tried it in stock v6.

Its pretty easy to boot the Tim_Shoppa_v6 image,
just un-gzip it and use:

   set cpu 11/23
   set tto 7b
   attach rl0 unix_v6.rl02
   boot rl0

in simh.  At the boot prompt enter "unix".

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com