[TUHS] v6: where is "man"?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Oct 21 01:25:33 AEST 2010

In message: <20101020052532.GA5690 at minnie.tuhs.org>
            Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> writes:
: On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 03:16:37PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
: > I'm playing with unix v6 right now.  I don't see the "man"
: > binary anywhere.. anyone know why?
:
: The v6 man.1 manpage says "[man] is a shell command file",
: so there is no source code, just the shell script.
: Still, that doesn't explain why the script file missing.
: It's not on the Dennis_v6 tape, nor the Ken_Wellsch_v6
: tape in the archive. Intruiging!

That's very interesting indeed.  FreeBSD has gone "back to the future"
here and replaced the man program that called groff, et al, with a
shell script.  Given the complexity of the shell script, however, I
imagine it wouldn't work too well on v6. :)

Warner