[TUHS] 2.11BSD cross compiler

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Thu Sep 30 06:54:42 AEST 2010

On 2010-Sep-28 20:55:34 -0700, Larry McVoy <lm at bitmover.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 05:17:33AM +0200, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>> Dunno, the only instruction set I really grok is 65C02, which is by your
>> standards probably little more than a toy.
>
>Oh, no.  Useful.  There was similar Intel (i think) cpu that was flashable.

Maybe 8748.  There was a mask version of this in the PC keyboard
controller (and hence still buried in most if not all southbridges).
That was followed by the 8051 family (8751 would have been the EPROM
version) - which I believe was very popular in car ECUs.  It was also
multi-sourced.  I've used both i8748 and a Philips 8051 clone at $work
many years ago.

>Anyhoo, the 6502 is a fine little processor and knowing how to make it
>sing is a useful skill.

For various reasons, I never learnt 6502.  I preferred the Motorola CPUs
(though $work was very Intel based).

--
Peter Jeremy