[TUHS] early INGRES licenses?

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Wed Aug 3 08:03:39 AEST 2011

On 8/2/11 2:54 PM, Al Kossow wrote:
> On 8/1/11 4:56 PM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>> I also plan to research the
>> history of licensing for W and early X.
>>

> Was W bundled with the Stanford V Kernel distribution?
>
> Does someone have a W distribution? I asked Jim Gettys
> about this last year, and he didn't have a copy.

This also just got me thinking about the microprocessor PCC ports, and where
they came from. There was an "MIT compiler tape" which appears to be the source
for the compilers used by Stanford and Unisoft for the 68000. I think this came
out of LCS (Ward's TRIX group?).

And I'll make my every couple of years plea for a copy of the Stanford/LLNL SCALD
system. If you look at the really early Gnusletter, Stallman was going to use the
code from Pastel (Extended Pascal from the SCALD/S1 Project) as the basis for GCC.
That was dropped pretty quickly because it was "too hairy". There were copies of
this floating around CMU, MIT and Stanford in the 80's (LLNL gave it away) but I've
not been able to find anyone that still has a copy.