[TUHS] /usr/bin on V7?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 14:51:58 AEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Michael Davidson <m_d at pacbell.net> wrote:

> You probably don't have /usr/bin because you haven't mounted /usr yet.

That's a good hypothesis, especially given the info I presented, but I do
have -some- things under /usr, and if I manually rerun sh -x /etc/rc in
multiuser, I get an error about /usr already being mounted.

> On V7 as best I can remember. /usr was always a mounted filesystem.
>
> So, somewhere in your V7 image there should be a disk image for /usr that
> can be hooked up to an appropriate device under SIMH and then mounted.

> Actually, it might already be there if your disk image is the entire device
> and not just the root filesystem - if you can figure out what your root
> device is then I would expect /usr to be on the same major device number but
> with aminor device # of 2 (root being 0 and swap being 1).

I'm thinking /usr is /dev/rp3, because my /etc/rc looks like:

# cat /etc/rc
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
echo "Restricted rights: Use, duplication, or disclosure
is subject to restrictions stated in your contract with
Western Electric Company, Inc." >/dev/console
rm /etc/mtab
cat /dev/null >/etc/utmp
/etc/mount /dev/rp3 /usr
rm -f /usr/spool/lpd/lock
: /etc/accton /usr/adm/acct
rm -f /usr/tmp/*
rm -f /tmp/*
/etc/update
date >/dev/console
/etc/cron

> Actually if you just take the system multi-user it might even do it for
> you.

This does seem to at least try to mount /usr for me - hitting ctrl-d at the
initial singleuser #, that is.

Interestingly though, it seems that the number of directories in /usr is the
same on first boot into single user, as after /etc/rc has run as part of
entering multiuser, so perhaps my root filesystem has things in /usr that
would normally be obscured by a /usr mount.  Also, /etc/mtab seems untouched
(in fact, it's nonexistent) after entering multiuser, and the output of
/etc/mount continues to be nothing.

touch /t does create a file named t in the root directory, so it's not
something about the root filesystem being readonly.

I'm puzzled.  And yet, I'm enjoying it. :)

Any suggestions?