[TUHS] /usr/bin on V7?

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Thu Aug 4 13:35:15 AEST 2011

> By way of introduction, I first started with *ix on an AT&T 3Bmumble, and
> started really getting into it with SunOS 4.1.1.

SunOS 4.1.1, ah, sweet memories.  I and a bunch of my friends worked on
that one.  Guy Harris, even though he had left for Auspex, would come back
to building 5 at Sun around 5:30, bang on the door, John Pope or I or one
of the other kernel guys who worked into the night, would let him in and
give him a place to work, and for the next few hours you'd hear "Jesus,
they still haven't fixed this?" and some fix would get pushed in.

That was how much we loved SunOS.  Solaris?  Not so much.  We put in tons
of effort to make SunOS good and it was a very pleasant version of Unix.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com