[TUHS] 4.0 BSD confusion....

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Aug 30 11:04:40 AEST 2011

On Monday, 29 August 2011 at 17:16:37 -0400, Jason Stevens wrote:
> I was looking at Tom Yam's 4.0 BSD 'starunix' restoration project, and I had
> a question about the version number that is reported vs the dates... I'm
> using wikipedia as a source (I know I know..)
>
> Anyways Tom's 4.0 boots up like this:
>
> : hp(0,0)vmunix
> 87844+15464+130300 start 0x530
> VM/UNIX (Berkeley Version 4.1) 11/10/80
>
> But the wiki page lists 4.1 being from June of 1981, and 4.0 being from
> November of 1980..  Did 4.0 BSD ship reporting itself as 4.1?  I guess there
> is the possibility that the kernel may include patches to bring it up to
> 4.1?

Interesting.  I've taken a look at the sources from the CD set and
found that the text there (in /usr/src/sys/sys/machdep.c) is the same
as above.  Looking further, the entire directory has the same files in
4.0 and 4.1, with the same modification dates.  So it looks as the 4.0
sources accidentally got replaced by the 4.1 sources.

> Does anyone have tape dumps of 4.0 & 4.1 ...?

mckusick might.  I'm copying him.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.