[TUHS] speak.c, or sometimes the bits are under your nose

Jonathan Gevaryahu jgevaryahu at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 11 10:34:59 AEST 2011

On 12/8/2011 6:08 PM, Warren Toomey wrote:

Here's a few extras so far:
An excel spreadsheet used to verify the contents while restoring the
table, and the un-fixed NUL-padded speak.c file as present on disk. The
missing sector is filled with NULs.
The votrax sc-01 datasheet i used to fill in the excel sheet can be
found at http://www.redcedar.com/sc01/sc01.pdf

I'm working on restoring speak.v right now, and am also looking at that
new image Al Kossow sent.
Doug Mcilroy sent me a copy of speak.v from a later non-votrax
(apl-based?) synthesizer and the words/rules seem to be in the same
order as in the original votrax version. I don't know if I can
distribute it.

One thing I didn't mention if you're diving into the disk image with a
hex editor: for some reason, I'm not exactly sure why, the file is
stored spread all over the place but (almost?) always generally in
reverse sector order. So if each letter represents a sector and A is the
first sector (and x are sectors you're not interested in) the file would
be arranged:
...HxxxxGxFxxxxExxDxxxCBxxxxxA

--
Jonathan Gevaryahu AKA Lord Nightmare