[TUHS] Command line post-arguments with #!

Sven Mascheck mascheck at in-ulm.de
Thu Dec 15 13:07:46 AEST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 08:46:38PM -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:
> Can you cite a reference?
>
> I'm quite familiar with what went on inside the system that was
> later called 8th Edition, having been on the inside at Bell Labs
> starting in mid-1984.

All I know is the two mails from DMR from '80,

http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=4BSD/usr/src/sys/newsys/sys1.c

">From dmr Thu Jan 10 04:25:49 1980 remote from research
The system has been changed so that if a file being executed
begins with the magic characters #! , [...]"

That's why I call it post-7th ed (between 7th and 8th ed) and why
I understand the above as original code (but I have no idea about
what went on with research Unix then).
Or should I interpret DMRs mail differently or with caution?