[TUHS] speak.c, or sometimes the bits are under your nose

Jonathan Gevaryahu jgevaryahu at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 14 05:29:02 AEST 2011

On 12/12/2011 3:13 AM, Jonathan Gevaryahu wrote:
> [I'm seeing] what looks like an early version or predecessor to red,
> the restricted ed, which doesn't seem to survive elsewhere except in a
> much modified and comments-translated-to-russian version here:
> http://code.google.com/p/retrobsd/source/browse/trunk/bin/re-src/r.wind.c?spec=svn251&r=251
>
> (there's at least one sector of code missing, the beginning of the
> setupviewport function and the end of the comment block that precedes
> it, and I may be unintentionally merging two files in my current attempt)
> (or maybe it does survive on the tarred disk Al K. posted, which I
> still haven't figured out how to un-tar)
Well, I figured out how to untar Al's disk (it needs commandline bsd or
gnu tar -xf, 7zip does NOT LIKE IT), and indeed a later but still very
similar version of that editor, which is the RAND editor (as mentioned
here: http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/notes/2006/N2239-1.pdf
), not restricted ed at all (unless red is based on rand editor, which I
don't know yet). Hence, RE-SRC (rand editor source) in the russian
thing. The version on dennis_v6 is older(1975?) than the one on the tar
Al posted (1982?), but much of the code is nearly the same. The code is
unfortunately missing quite a few sectors, and some parts of the 1982?
code were reorganized enough to make reassembling the 1975? code difficult.

--
Jonathan Gevaryahu AKA Lord Nightmare
jgevaryahu at gmail.com
jgevaryahu at hotmail.com