[TUHS] SVR4 x86 -- Sources

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Fri Jul 15 14:30:53 AEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 05:11:15PM +0200, Michele Ghisolfo wrote:
> I'm reading the J. Lions Commentary to V6 UNIX, the ancestor of all
> UNIXes, including SysV (if I understood correctly).  The last Research
> Unix release was Tenth Edition Unix.  Is the source code of
> releases 8, 9 and 10 available?  Are there other commentaries of ancient
> Research Unixes, like Lions book?
>   --Michele

Maurice Bach's book covers SysVR2 from a design point of view, but no code:
http://www.amazon.com/Design-Operating-System-Prentice-Hall-Software/dp/0132017997

Goodheart & Cox's book covers SysVR4 from a design point of view, no code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Garden-Explained-Berny-Goodheart/dp/0130981389

Vahalia's book covers various Unix systems around the mid-90s:
http://www.amazon.com/UNIX-Internals-Frontiers-Uresh-Vahalia/dp/0131019082
and it's a great book!

On the BSD side, there are books on 4.3BSD and 4.4BSD:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Implementation-Operating-Addison-Wesley-computer-science/dp/0201061961
http://www.amazon.com/Design-Implementation-4-4-Operating-System/dp/0201549794

And there is a commentary on the 1st Edition of Unix, i.e. the one from 1971
available as a downloadable PDF:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/Dennis_v1/PreliminaryUnixImplementationDocument_Jun72.pdf

Cheers,
	Warren