[TUHS] Ideas for a Unix paper I'm writing

Nick Downing downing.nick+tuhs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 10:32:58 AEST 2011

I think you definitely need to say that the idea of file descriptors
in the unix API anticipated the current style (fad?) of
object-oriented programming by about 20 years, languages like
Smalltalk/C++, more recently java/ruby, use opaque objects with
polymorphism to provide services, which is exactly what unix does, an
object hierarchy would look something like:
- read/write capable (file descriptor) objects
  - seek capable (storage) objects
    - truncate capable (file) objects
    - non truncate capable (block) objects
  - non seek capable (stream) objects
    - pipes
    - sockets
      - stream oriented sockets
      - datagram oriented sockets
    - terminals
For terminals, the extension to the API over the basic read/write
capable object is via an ioctl, whereas for sockets it is via its own
API (connect/accept/listen/etc), but conceptually there is no reason
why read/write/lseek/etc couldn't be ioctls as well, since the mapping
from userspace calls (such as lseek or stty/gtty) to syscalls is up to
the standard library.  pipe() is a java-style constructor, whereas
socket() or open() is conceptually a static factory as it can return
different types of objects depending on the request, the constructors
for the corresponding objects are conceptually private constructors.
An errno is basically a checked exception that can be thrown, each
syscall effectively has a java style "throws ..." clause and well
designed userland code catches or rethrows these.
cheers, Nick