[TUHS] Ideas for a Unix paper I'm writing

Tim Newsham tim.newsham at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:00:57 AEST 2011

my two cents:

 - system unity - the system was designed from the ground up,
   including design tools such as assembler and language
   and compiler, by a small group of people.  This allowed
   the designers to get great unity.
 - Utility - the designers used the system, and made sure the system
   they built was useful for them.  This ensured that it was also useful
   for other people like them, and it turns out for lots of other people
   less like them, too.
 - simplicity - perhaps a result of the small team of people, the system
   was understandable.  The designers sometimes chose simplicity over
   generality or even elegance (ie. EAGAIN, making callers job harder, but
   simplifying kernel).  I think there's a great deal of pragmatism here that
   worked well with the unity.  They knew the whole system and were able
   to see where to give a little and where to take a little.
 - Open design - the fact that unix came with readable and understandable
   documentation and source code helped it immensely!  Users were free
   to take the system, study it, change it and tailor it to their needs.  Others
   were able to imitate and extend (for better or worse).

and like any popular system, a dash of good luck.

Tim

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com