[TUHS] Understanding the /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin Split

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Thu Feb 2 23:45:25 AEST 2012

On 1 Feb 2012, at 11:12, Jose R. Valverde wrote:

> This is something obvious to anyone maintaining a multi-user server, only
> presumptuous single-user windows toyers think they know better.

If only this were true.  Until reasonably recently (may be a couple of years ago was the last time I cared), a major Unix vendor's recommendation was not to have separate /var, because that was "old fashioned" (I assume).  Some of their installation / upgrade programs would fail if you did in fact.  For additional amusement, the default install would put no limit on the size of the memory-based /tmp filesystem.  So basically anything on the system could fill / with all the undesirable consequences that has, and also eat the system's memory in an unpleasantly persistent way.

--tim