[TUHS] Understanding the /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin Split

Norman Wilson norman at oclsc.org
Fri Feb 3 09:16:35 AEST 2012

Lyndon Nerenberg:

  A well designed system without library bloat can pump out some
  pretty skinny static binaries.

=======

V6, for example.  Or even V7 if carefully pruned.

Once upon a time, I made an RK05 disk (5MB) with a stripped-down
post-V7 for an 11/45.  It had just enough programs to allow
basic file manipulation and text-processing.

We used this compact system to allow our secretaries (in a
small university department in the early 1980s) to continue
typing up papers and letters on the day the machine-room
air conditioning was being replaced.  With the doors standing
open and a big fan, we were willing to leave the 11/45 running,
but not the VAX-11/780.

Due to contractor screwups (when the chilled water was turned
on, it rained up and down the hall--many poorly-soldered
joints in the copper pipes), we actually needed this for a
couple of days, so for safety I shut the system down every
evening, removed the RK05 cartridge, and took it downstairs
to the 11/34 that had a tape drive, where I booted RT11 and
took an image backup with ROLLOUT.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON