[TUHS] Understanding the /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin Split

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Feb 3 09:58:38 AEST 2012

Norman Wilson scripsit:

> Once upon a time, I made an RK05 disk (5MB) with a stripped-down
> post-V7 for an 11/45.  It had just enough programs to allow basic file
> manipulation and text-processing.

In my first job, around 1976, I hand-carried an RK05 from New Jersey
to Kansas City.  It was full of my employer's proprietary software,
which I was to install.  The laternative was to bring a huge pile of
floppies, which didn't seem sensible.

I was able to convince the airline security of those days that they
could neither open the RK nor X-ray it, but when it got there, it was
unreadable anyway.  My colleague took the next flight, with the huge
pile.

> Due to contractor screwups (when the chilled water was turned on, it
> rained up and down the hall--many poorly-soldered joints in the copper
> pipes), [...]

During PM, always mount a scratch machine room!

--
First known example of political correctness:   John Cowan
After Nurhachi had united all the other         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Jurchen tribes under the leadership of the      cowan at ccil.org
Manchus, his successor Abahai (1592-1643)
issued an order that the name Jurchen should       --S. Robert Ramsey,
be banned, and from then on, they were all           The Languages of China
to be called Manchus.