[TUHS] Understanding the /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin Split

Carl Lowenstein carl.lowenstein at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:37:42 AEST 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:
> Lyndon Nerenberg:
>
>  A well designed system without library bloat can pump out some
>  pretty skinny static binaries.
>
> =======
>
> V6, for example.  Or even V7 if carefully pruned.
>
> Once upon a time, I made an RK05 disk (5MB) with a stripped-down
> post-V7 for an 11/45.  It had just enough programs to allow
> basic file manipulation and text-processing.
>
> We used this compact system to allow our secretaries (in a
> small university department in the early 1980s) to continue
> typing up papers and letters on the day the machine-room
> air conditioning was being replaced.  With the doors standing
> open and a big fan, we were willing to leave the 11/45 running,
> but not the VAX-11/780.
>
> Due to contractor screwups (when the chilled water was turned
> on, it rained up and down the hall--many poorly-soldered
> joints in the copper pipes), we actually needed this for a
> couple of days, so for safety I shut the system down every
> evening, removed the RK05 cartridge, and took it downstairs
> to the 11/34 that had a tape drive, where I booted RT11 and
> took an image backup with ROLLOUT.

You may have been lucky not to need the backup images.  My experience
with ROLLIN/ROLLOUT early on was that DEC software used only 200 of
the 203 tracks available on a RK05.   Unix on the other hand also used
the 3 spare tracks.  4872 whole blocks.  So ROLLIN backups of a Unix
RK05 did not always have everything on them.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenstein at ucsd.edu