[TUHS] Bryan Cantrill on bfs & ta

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Mon Oct 22 10:33:25 AEST 2012

Did anyone watch his talk?  I just tried and couldn't make out what he was
talking about.

Bryan's a smart guy but a little subjective.  I spent a day wandering
around San Franciso with him (we used to live within a few blocks of
each other) talking tech stuff, hardware, os, etc.  He was completely
rational, smart, insightful, until we got to either sparc or solaris.
Then he was subjective as hell, he just couldn't back away from them
enough to make an objective comparison to other solutions.

Funny thing was that so long as sparc/solaris weren't the subject matter
he was very objective, could see the pros/cons of anything.

I guess he drank the Sun koolaid.

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:51:20PM +0100, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk8aZv0JJuk&feature=player_detailpage#t=3493s
>
> "SunOS has never run on a 16bit machine"
>
> My response was M68000 & 386 but his counter response was they both
> supported 32bit addressing.
>
> Sevan

---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com