[TUHS] Bryan Cantrill on bfs & ta

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 23:01:44 AEST 2012

I watched one he gave at a usenix conference where he sort of recapped some
of the history of solaris and how oracle ruined everything and drove away
all the talent. Whether he had a valid point or not, it wasn't very
becoming. I don't know..it just never looks good when you air that stuff
out in public.

That said, it's hard to exaggerate the brilliance of dtrace. Like a
uw-madison professor said about some of the work that inspired it, it's
like watching in fine detail the inner parts of an engine move while going
down the highway at 60 mph.