[TUHS] Teletype

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat Aug 16 05:08:07 AEST 2014

Brian Zick scripsit:

> Would it still be possible today for someone like me to go out, and find an
> old teletype terminal (an old ASR or DECwriter or something), set up a
> phone line and modem and get a roll of paper, and then actually use it to
> connect to other computers?

The trick would be to find a computer that not only has dialable modems
(there are several such ISPs out there, like AOL, EarthLink, and NetZero),
but also allows callers access to a command line.  Normally you get
only PPP service, which just allows you to send and receive IP packets,
of no use to a TTY.

But there may be some hobbyist systems out there with dialup access.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Original line from The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold:
"Only on Barrayar would pulling a loaded needler start a stampede toward one."
English-to-Russian-to-English mangling thereof: "Only on Barrayar you risk to
lose support instead of finding it when you threat with the charged weapon."