[TUHS] networking on unix before uucp

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Aug 23 06:37:59 AEST 2014

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014, Larry McVoy wrote:

> > In a previous slavery we had a simple socket library; the application
> > did little more than say whether it was a client or a server etc.  I
> > wish I could steal that code now...
>
> lmbench has one:

Yeah, that's pretty much what we did.  Conceptually, the client said
"please connect me to Sydney's pogo stick server", and the server said "I
am the Sydney pogo stick server".  Networking as it ought to be (none of
this business about the right phase of the moon and looking for a few
all-too-scarce virgins etc).  The config stuff was initially in flat
files, and it was my job to convert the lot to OpenLDAP lookups.

-- Dave