[TUHS] networking on unix before uucp

Cory Smelosky csmelosky at gewt.net
Sat Aug 23 08:12:59 AEST 2014

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014, Mary Ann Horton wrote:

[snip]
> Shortly thereafter in 1978, Eric Schmidt (yes, that Eric Schmidt) wrote
> Berknet, which was similar to UUCP but didn't use modems, it ran over null
> modem serial line interconnections.  It ran on V6, V7, and the Vax.

How does that Berknet differ from the Berknet in...4.0/4.1BSD?  I've seen
what I THINK was ethernet code there...but I couldn't be sure as I
couldn't even decipher the addressing scheme. ;)

I've been meaning to ask about Berknet, anyway.  One of my side projects
is to get it operational.

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff