[TUHS] networking on unix before uucp

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Aug 25 08:46:23 AEST 2014

4.1 did not have Ethernet support from UCB. only Berknet.   the original ip stack with Ethernet support for 4.1 was done at BBN.   the interface is classic unix using the open call.    similar to the MIT ChaosNet stack

CMU had a new os for the TripleDrip PERQ called Accent. it had a number of interesting concepts such as ports.

Joy took the BBN stack and created Berkeley sockets as a reaction to Accent's networking scheme.  this would become 4.1A/B/C and eventually 4.2

btw.   CMU responded to 4.2 by taking the ideas from Accent and rewriting then and splicing them into BSD kernel to create Mach.      Which lives today as the core of both Mac OSx and iOS

Clem