[TUHS] K&R C on a modern Linux box? ( was Re: I swear! I rtfm'ed )

Derrik Walker v2.0 dwalker at doomd.net
Wed Dec 31 17:52:46 AEST 2014

On Wed, 2014-12-31 at 01:16 -0500, Jacob Ritorto wrote:
> Hey, thanks, Derrik.
>   I don't mess with Linux much (kind of an Illumos junkie by trade ;),
> but I bet gcc would.  I did out of curiosity do it with the Macintosh
> cc (Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.40) (based on LLVM 3.4svn))
> and it throws warnings about our not type-defining functions because
> you're apparently supposed to do this explicitly these days, but it
> dutifully goes on to assume int and compiles our test K&R stuff mostly
> fine.  It does unfortunately balk pretty badly at the naked returns we
> initially had, though.  Wish it didn't because it strikes me as being
> beautifully simple..

It compiles and runs with no warnings or any issues with gcc 4.9.2 on
Fedora 21.

Like so many x-gener Linux guys, I was a UNIX guy in the early '90's,
and just fell into Linux.

So, you are running BSD 2.11, on a real PDP-11 ( or is it a VAX ),  in
your house? Or are you using an emulator? Either way, that's still
probably no small feat.

I have a Mac Plus emulator ( MiniVMac ) that I installed MachTen on,
just to see if I could get it running, and it works.

( MachTen is this odd sort of UNIX that was available for the Mac in the
'90's, that runs on top of Mac OS ).

> thx again for the encouragement!
> jake

No problem.  Anyone getting the younger ones into the older technology
is good!

- Derrik