[TUHS] History of chown semantics

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Fri Jan 10 20:15:40 AEST 2014

On 10 Jan 2014, at 04:28, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> None of this contradicts the issues with allowing non-root chown, but
> it does show a valid reason to want to do so.

Another use which I am fairly sure I read about somewhere is student submissions of work. Scenario is: student writes program / essay / something, and at some point you want them to be able to submit it in such a way that they can no longer change it.  You can do that without SUID programs if you can give away files.