[TUHS] Gnu/Stallman (was Bugs in V6 'dcheck')

Jacob Goense dugo at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 3 06:06:52 AEST 2014

On 2014-06-02 16:25, Clem Cole wrote:
> Linus this would eventually need a compiler and pulled rms' suite.
>
>  The funny part is that his University has 386BSD (aka 4.2 for the
> 386) at the time which did use the MMU, had networking and even the
> first step at X11.  At the time I had helped the guys get the AT disk
> driver working as I had access to all the Western Digital
> documentation.   But to get the code from CRSG, you needed at BSD
> license, which required an AT&T license.   Linus' university had one,
> but he did know know the magic ftp site to download or have access.
>
> I've often wondered what would have happened if he had known about it.

AFAICT 386BSD port started out with 4.3BSD-Tahoe sources.

Jolitz pulled in GCC[1], and Linus would have run into the same
compiler.
Did Jolitz even have much of a choice back in '89?

[1] - From the original project proposal for 386BSD
3.1. Language tools:

We will base our port on nascent language utilities from RMS's GNU
project (GCC & GAS & LD), which are fairly well fleshed-out but have
never been put to the acid test. Obviously, we will encounter and
bypass and/or fix compiler bugs. Until we find a dedicated compiler
participant who is familiar with GCC, the author will field all
compiler problems and be responsible for fixes and/or workarounds.

We think that GCC is an excellent compiler to work with, and hope that
our use of it will provide FSF with much useful feedback on fixes and
improvements.