[TUHS] UNIX magazines

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Jun 13 23:43:18 AEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 12:03 AM, Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:

> USENIX now makes all their conference papers available online,
> free to anyone, except that only those registered for a
> conference can read them before the conference actually happens.
> That's not a bad substitute for a journal, I suppose.

​Thank you Norman.​

​As President of USENIX during that choice, that is a legacy I am
particularly proud.  It was a bit of a scary thing to do and so far ACM and
IEEE have been loath to follow suite as completely (I suspect because the
digital library is (was) a significant source of revenue for all three
organizations).  [To be fair, there are some exceptions, I believe ACM
Queue is downloadable - although I note that it is interesting a lot of
people working on Queue are also USENIX folks some of whom may be lurking
on this mailing list].

For what ever its worth, just a month or so ago, I was very pleased to see
my now Sr in college CS major daughter  -- who went to her first USENIX
conference in 1993 in stroller -- just joined USENIX (maybe its a little
like joining "the party").  But if USENIX is to continue their tradition of
being open and freely accessible, I offer an unabashed advertisement (i.e
no pay walls): like her and her college peers, please consider a USENIX
membership and/or going to a conference or two.

To Doug's question -- I agree that the answers about "Computing Systems"
that have been given are pretty much to the mark.   It was not an
insignificant undertaking to publish such a journal; and keeping
it/dropping was a trade off.

To all on the list, I can say that the Board has toyed with bring it back a
couple of times when I was on it.   If any of you have thoughts on the
matter, send them to the current Board of Directors ( bod at usenix.org )
and/or the Executive Director:  Casey Henderson (execdir at usenix.org).

Clem