[TUHS] UNIX magazines

scj at yaccman.com scj at yaccman.com
Sat Jun 14 02:04:35 AEST 2014

I was on the Usenix board when we decided to stop publishing Computing
Systems.  One of the key problems, not yet mentioned, was that the
readership was too small.  Several very good papers went elsewhere because
the authors correctly felt that few people would see them if they
published in CS.  A related problem was that many university libraries
were reluctant to subscribe.  It seems that a certain critical mass is
necessary to make a journal viable, and we never quite got there with
CS...