[TUHS] 4.1BSD Networking

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Jun 16 22:53:59 AEST 2014

Hello all, recent subscriber to this list...but some might
recognise me.

I'm currently fighting (and mostly succeeding) with getting a pure
4.3BSD-Tahoe install rolling in a VAX simulator (all my tape drives are
currently nonfunctional or I'd fire up a real II or III).  Still in the
middle of compiling (I know there are easier ways...but I like the feeling
of doing it purely "from scratch"...feels more historically accurate).

Anyways, while waiting for the compile I ended up with a working 4.1c
installation and I began poking around its source tree (I also did a
little bit of poking at the CSRG discs).  I stumbled upon the fact 4.1c
supports the DMC (which SIMH git now emulates!) and I see it's also still
in src/old on some versions of 4.3 (I wonder if it'll still build...).
Looking at the source is immensely confusing...does anyone have any
knowledge/notes from the time period/documentation that will help me with
my little experiment in archaic networking? I might just be tired...but
the berknet configuration doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
(There's also the fact my grasp of C is minimal).

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff