[TUHS] Happy birthday, core dumped

iking at killthewabbit.org iking at killthewabbit.org
Tue Jun 17 13:13:05 AEST 2014

Well, the University of Oregon might disagree with you about the PDP-7.  They ran the DECsys monitor, which ISTR  was the first such software product from DEC outside the 36-bit line (the PDP-6 and -7 were introduced in the same year).  U of O took delivery of their -7 in 1966 and it saw active service for at least three decades, with over thirty doctorates earned based on research performed on the system.  Hardly useless....

It's always been a bit of a mystery to me why Thompson and Ritchie decided they needed to write a new executive - UNICS - rather than use DECsys.  True, DECsys isn't anything to shout about and Unix is clearly more useful - but IMHO Spacewar! could have been coded in the DECsys 'environment'.  I infer that they saw broader utility and application in a more capable executive - which obviously turned out to be true!

The U of O PDP-7 is the one currently residing at the Living Computer Museum (I used to maintain it).

And what's wrong with OS/8?  Minimal, yes - what do you want, Windows Vista?  :-)   - Ian

Sent from my android device.