[TUHS] Happy birthday, core dumped

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Tue Jun 17 22:14:19 AEST 2014

iking at killthewabbit.org scripsit:

> Well, the University of Oregon might disagree with you about the PDP-7.
> They ran the DECsys monitor,

Ah, I didn't know about that.  Still, pretty sub-minimal:  Fortran II,
assembler, editor, period.  It made OS/8 look quite rich by comparison.

> Hardly useless....

However, according to the manual, DECsys required an 8Kword PDP-7, whereas
the "Space Travel" (not "Spacewar!") machine had only 4Kwords.

> And what's wrong with OS/8?

Nothing.  Indeed, I cut my teeth on it on a PDP-8/M with 8K and a single
DECtape with the driver in ROM.  I was using the term descriptively to
indicate the kind of OS available for the PDP-9.  A modified version also
ran on the '15, it seems.  But the native OSes were DOS-15 (roughly RT-11)
and RSX-15 (a classic DEC RSX).

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
        "Not to know The Smiths is not to know K.X.U."  --K.X.U.