[TUHS] Work I've done with a PDP-11 simulator

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue May 6 01:32:10 AEST 2014

    > From: John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org>

    > If you haven't already, see
    > <http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2004/homework/hw5.html> et seqq.

I had seen a later variant of that course; I wasn't aware that an earlier one
used Unix; thanks for the pointer.

It's a bit unfortunate (from my PoV) that in the Unix coverage they seemed to
mostly focus on the low-level mechanics (e.g. how stacks are switched, etc,
etc), and not on the (to me) more interesting lessons to be learned from V6 -
most notably, how to get so much bang for so little buck! (I am convinced
that one of the primary challenges facing computer science these days is
control of complexity, but I don't want to get way off-topic, so I'll stop
there.)

Although I suppose things like that have to be covered at some point, and
they might as well do it in V6 as in anything else!

	Noel