[TUHS] Work I've done with a PDP-11 simulator

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Sun May 11 10:57:38 AEST 2014

This may have been answered and I missed it while I was out weedwacking
but have you gotten to a point where you can rebuild the world and install
your newly built stuff?

At Sun this was called "make bootstrap" but I bet that predates Sun.  The
bootstrap process, as I remember it, had the compiler build the compiler,
then the new compiler built the kernel and userland, then there was an
install step, and presto, you were running on bits you had built yourself.
All of them.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com