[TUHS] Work I've done with a PDP-11 simulator

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun May 11 14:20:42 AEST 2014

Noel Chiappa scripsit:

>  junk:
>
> An RL01 pack (the others are all RL02's); it has a boot block with PDP-11
> code in it; I mounted it on a simulator and booted it, and it says it's an
> RSX-11M V3.2 disk.
>
>  user01.rl02:
>
> This is also an RSX pack (I think), but when I tried to boot it, it said
> "THIS VOLUME DOES NOT CONTAIN A HARDWARE BOOTABLE SYSTEM", and since I don't
> know how to mount disks under RSX-11 I left it at that.

If it's ODS-1 (aka FILES-11) format, it should be possible to mount it
on a Vax or Alpha system, as it is a down-level version of the OpenVMS
format ODS-2.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Let's face it: software is crap. Feature-laden and bloated, written under
tremendous time-pressure, often by incapable coders, using dangerous
languages and inadequate tools, trying to connect to heaps of broken or
obsolete protocols, implemented equally insufficiently, running on
unpredictable hardware -- we are all more than used to brokenness.
                   --Felix Winkelmann