[TUHS] Work I've done with a PDP-11 simulator

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun May 11 13:26:17 AEST 2014

    >> From: Larry McVoy <lm at bitmover.com>

    >> have you gotten to a point where you can rebuild the world and install
    >> your newly built stuff?

    > Well, I haven't tried to do that (it's not something that I'm that
    > interested in), but it _should_ be possible, since the 'vanilla' V6
    > distribution does include the source for pretty much everything
    > (including the C compiler, assembler, loader, etc).

So, just for grins, because I was curious (after your question), I did try
recompiling the C compiler, to see what I'd get.

What I got were three files (c0, c1 and c2) which were _the exact same size_
(down to the byte) as the binaries on the V6 Research distro, but had a
number of differences when compared with 'cmp -l'. Odd!

I don't know what the differences result from (and it's too late now to dig
into why, I'm fading). I'll take a gander tomorrow and try and work it out.
Too bad the binaries in the Research distro have had their symbol tables
stripped! That would have made it much easier...

My guess is something like 'libraries in different order, so two library
routines are swapped around in the linked binary', or something like that
(given that the size is an exact match). But I'll need to dig a bit...

	Noel