[TUHS] Unix on an 11/23 (Was: Work I've done with a PDP-11 simulator)

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu May 15 12:03:52 AEST 2014

Noel Chiappa scripsit:

> (although there's something called MiniUnix, IIRC, which runs on an LSI-11,
> which would probably run on a /23 without an MMU).

Mini-Unix is for PDP-11s without memory management: one process
in memory at a time, no pipes/prof/ptrace.  The LSI-11 specific
system, which preceded Mini-Unix and was even less capable, is LSX.
See <http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/pups/2001-March/000273.html>
and search on the page for "Heinz" for details.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
People go through the bother of Christmas because Christmas helps them
to understand why they go through the bother of living out their lives
the rest of the year. For one brief instant, we see human society as it
should and could be, a world in which business has become the exchanging
of presents and in which nothing is important except the happiness and
well-being of the ultimate consumer.  --Northrop Frye (1948)