[TUHS] What's with the DZ-11?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Nov 27 06:48:39 AEST 2014

I've seen a couple of less than flattering references here; what was the
problem with them?

At UNSW, we couldn't afford the DH-11, so ended up with the crappy DJ-11
instead (the driver for the DH-11 had the guts ripped out of it in an
all-nighter by Ian Johnston as I recall), and when the DZ-11 came along we
thought it was the bees' knees.

Sure, the original driver was as slow as hell, but the aforesaid IanJ
reworked it and made it faster by at least 10x; amongst other things, I
think he did away with the character queues and used the buffer pool
instead, getting 9600 on all eight channels simultaneously, possibly even
full-duplex.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)