[TUHS] Adding an RP06 disk to a running V7 instance

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 06:11:22 AEST 2015

I have set up v7 following [1] and I would like to better understand the
process of adding a disk to the environment. Here is what I know:

The system has one RP06 with two partitions rp0 and rp3 which correspond
to the two block devices rp0, rp3, and the two character devices rrp0,
and rrp3. The special files look like so:
brw-r--r-- 1 root    6,  0 Dec 31 19:05 /dev/rp0
brw-r--r-- 1 root    6,  7 Dec 31 19:04 /dev/rp3
crw-r--r-- 1 root   14,  0 Dec 31 19:01 /dev/rrp0
crw-r--r-- 1 root   14,  7 Dec 31 19:01 /dev/rrp3

This meshes with the device classes switches in c.c:

The block device switch:
struct  bdevsw  bdevsw[] =
{
         nulldev, nulldev, hpstrategy, &hptab,   /* hp = 6 */
}

The character device switch:
struct  cdevsw  cdevsw[] =
{
         nulldev, nulldev, hpread, hpwrite, nodev, nulldev, 0,   /* hp =
14 */
}

I would like to add another RP disk to the environment. After I attach
an RP04/05/06 to the system, what should I use as the major/minor device
numbers? To put it differently, it doesn't seem correct to me to use 6,1
for the block device or 14,1 for the character device on the new drive
as it's a completely different disk from rp0 and rp3 which are just
partitions on the first drive and have 6,0, 6,7, and 14,0, 14,7. If each
RP can have 8 partitions and there can be 8 drives, what is the correct
major, minor numbers to use with v7 for multiple devices?

c.c only lists one vector each for the hp device (one block vector where
hp = 6, and one char vector where hp = 15).

Thanks,

Will

[1] Haley, C. B. & Ritchie, D. M. (1979). Setting Up Unix – Seventh
Edition (pp. 497-505) in UNIX programmer's manual, Vol. 2, Revised and
Expanded Version. Bell Laboratories: NY.