[TUHS] etymology of cron

Norman Wilson norman at oclsc.org
Wed Dec 23 11:44:07 AEST 2015

Perhaps Wikipedia would be satisfied if we could get
Ken to write a letter to some current published journal,
saying that he's the one who named cron, he's heard
people are interested in how it got that name, here's
how.  We could then cite that as a reference.

On the other hand, this may be an example of the
degree to which one should trust Wikipedia.  The
`command run on notice' acronym claim is backed up
by an article from the AUUG (Hi Warren!) Proceedings,
1994, in which the first reference to cron gives
that explanation with no further reference.

If that's the quality of reference they accept, there
is simply no reason to take anything they publish
as gospel.  Sorry.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

Proud that no one has yet made a spurious Wikipedia
page asserting the etymology of my personal domain
name.