[TUHS] etymology of cron

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Wed Dec 23 12:07:31 AEST 2015

On Dec 22, 2015, at 5:44 PM, Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:

> If that's the quality of reference they accept, there
> is simply no reason to take anything they publish
> as gospel.  Sorry.

And you are just figuring this out now ;-)  (Yes. Rhetorical. I know!)

I see they finally fixed the bits in the 'Ethernet' entry explaining the reason for the 1518 byte maximum length of an Ethernet frame.  How many Wikipedia authors even know how to *spell* 'vampire tap'?

For even more giggles, search on something like 'what is the reason for the minimum size of an Ethernet frame'.  When I'm bored, I do.  Who can't be impressed by gems like this?:

> Why is a minimum ethernet frame size necessary?
>
> Answers
>
>  Best Answer:  By defining the minimum ethernet frame size, you ensure that all necessary information is being transferred at each transmission. The minimum frame size breaks down like this:
>
> Size is 64 bytes.
> Destination Address (6 bytes)
> Source Address (6 bytes)
> Frame Type (2 bytes)
> Data (46 bytes)
> CRC Checksum (4 bytes)
>
> 46 bytes must be transmitted at a minumum, with additional pad bytes added to meet frame requirements.
> Source(s):
> 10 years in the IT industry

Who needs Dave Chapelle when you have answers.yahoo.com?!?

--lyndon

P.S.  yahoo.com - the people bringing you DMARC.  Coincidence? I think not!