[TUHS] etymology of cron

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Dec 25 01:17:53 AEST 2015

Clem Cole scripsit:

> Rik in his role as the editor of ;login is going to try work with Doug and
> to get something "published" into the next edition which should satisfy the
> Wikipedia folks.   There is a minor issue is that Rik is technically past
> the deadline but due to the holiday, there are a few days of grace that the
> workers putting the issue together have said they will thankfully try to
> handle.
>
> So maybe we can have get this fixed shortly.

I don't think so.  Is ;login: a peer-reviewed journal?  It doesn't look
like it to me.  Still, the current state says:

    The origin of the name cron is from the Greek word for
    time, χρόνος (chronos), according to its author Ken
    Thompson[2][better source needed]. Others have suggested that the
    name comes from the Greek God Chronos[3] or that it is an acronym
    for "Command Run On Notice"[4] or "Commands Run Over Night",[5]
    but the references lack substantiation.

Even if someone is still grumbling on the talk page, that doesn't
substantially misrepresent anything that I can see.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
        Is it not written, "That which is written, is written"?