[TUHS] 2.9 kernel compile

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 06:32:59 AEST 2015

OK, I recompiled again with PDP11 = 34. and UNIBUS_MAP = 0.

I set simh to 11/34 and I managed to get actual panics before (that I
didn't record), but now I'm just getting hangs, mostly when hitting ctrl-D
to bring system to mutiuser.  Same if I mount -a in single user and then
try to access /usr (works for a while, then hangs.).

 When hung, I can still get character echo to my terminal but can't
interrupt or background the running command, etc.  Would it help if I
traced memory and single-stepped through the (apparently) infinite loop?

The real 11/34 runs like a top under regular 2.9 (on rl02).  Can't get it
to do anything wrong; no panics, no hangs.
However, here are some examples of crashes on the real pdp11/34 (booting
via vtserver, then bringing in system from the MSCP disk), with the
original 2.9bsd-MSCP kernel (the one specifically built for 11/23):

   Opened boot.dd read-write
 rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr EOF

40Boot
: ra(0,0)unix

Berkeley UNIX (Rev. 2.9.25) Sat Aug 11 17:56:41 EDT 2001
mem = 158720

CONFIGURE SYSTEM:
                      ka6 = 2200
aps = 141572
pc = 50456 ps = 30250
__ovno = 7
trap type 11
panic: trap

and another: plain boring old hang at boot when trying to size devices.
Can't even echo characters this time.

   Opened boot.dd read-write
 rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr EOF

40Boot
: ra(0,0)unix

Berkeley UNIX (Rev. 2.9.25) Sat Aug 11 17:56:41 EDT 2001
mem = 158720

CONFIGURE SYSTEM:

One thing I think is interesting is that it's claiming 158720KW of memory.
Is that weird?  The real 11/34 has 128KW and simh is set to 256.  Where's
it getting that odd number?  Vanilla 2.9.1 on the real 11/34 boots with

Berkeley UNIX (Rev. 2.9.1) Sun Nov 20 14:55:50 PST 1983
mem = 135872