[TUHS] State of networking in the early '90s

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Tue Jan 6 11:55:36 AEST 2015

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 10:59:26AM +0100, Jacob Goense wrote:
> Early 80s INTELPOST ran on small 11s running RT-11/RSX-11 with Mills'
> fuzzball bolted on top. These were hooked up to DACOM or Rapicom fax
> machines.

Reading this e-mail caused me to read up on the fuzzball, which then lead me
to this overview of the state of networking in the early '90s:

http://museum.media.org/eti/

	In 1990 and 1991, I made three trips around the world to write a
	technical travelogue. The result was the book "Exploring the
	Internet", originally published by Prentice-Hall. Perhaps because
	they felt the Internet trend had passed, or more likely because
	of the less-than-mainstream appeal, they allowed the book to go
	out of print. I decided to republish the book on the Internet in
	the hope that perhaps it retains some minor historical interest.

So far I've got through about 6 chapters and it's a good read. I've made it
into an epub if anybody wants a copy.

Cheers, Warren